4.30.2013

recap :: MoHud2013 week 6

Sunday was my first 5k since the great fracture of 2012. I was just happy to be there, happy to sport a bib and timing chip and happy for the orange slices that were waiting for me at the end. I had no plan but to take it easy and would have been very happy with anything under 30mins as my first go at it, so I was pumped when I crossed the line and saw "28" as the first number. I made a concerted effort not to check my Garmin throughout the race and strategically picked runners ahead of me that I would eventually move ahead of. My internal dialogue sounded like this: 

"grey shirt guy, I'll get him on the hill. He doesn't look like he's made for hills. Grey shirt guy is slowing down... move."

"I see you, pink shoe laces. I'm coming for you. Slow down pink shoe laces, slow. it. down."

At mile two, I passed the marker but didn't hear my Garmin beep (probably because Britney Spears Jay-Z were blaring in my headphones). I took this as a sign to check my stats begrudgingly looked down to make sure the sign wasn't lying to me (because most race directors set out to trick you) and saw 18mins and change displayed on my watch, got a little excited and also a little tired. My training runs have been between 10:40 and 9:22 per mile, so I thought I'd replicate that effort on the course, but ended up picking it up a bit. My last mile was 8:58 (weee! broke into the 8s!!). Of course once I realized I was going faster than usual, I got incredibly tired and wanted a walk break. But everyone knows you look like a quitter when you take a walk break and there was a 70+ year old man ahead of me that clearly wasn't into walk breaks, so I stopped whining and continued on for ~9 more minutes. Chip time at the end was 28:30 (only 15 seconds slower than my 5k PR), I started my Garmin when I crossed the start and it reported 28:21.

sweet, new, colorful babies.
After the magic of race #1 in 2013 I retreated home to try 1.5mi in my old-because-they've-been-sitting-in-a-box-but-new-because-I've-only-worn-them-for-a-mile Mizunos. Huge mistake. Maybe not if I had hit the road a few minutes after the race, but over an hour after was a bad idea. The only plus of the painful, lactic acid filled run was that my shoes looked fab. 

Monday: 60min spin; 45min total body
                scheduled - 45min walk
Tuesday: rest
                scheduled - rest
Wednesday: 3mi (1.5mi on the trail)
                scheduled - 2mi  
Thursday: 2mi
                scheduled - 3mi  
Friday: 2.25mi (fartleks)
                scheduled - 2mi  
Saturday: rest
                scheduled - rest  
Sunday: 4.65mi
                scheduled - 4.5mi

Weekly mileage: 12.40mi
Scheduled weekly mileage: 11.5mi